20 November 2012

Go hard and go home

Or something like that. After declaring that I wasn't going to rearrange training just because of pesky races, it's been nearly 2 weeks since I've been in the gym. Ah well. Week and a half until the effective end of semester...

Of course, being me, this meant a mix of sensible and silly. Sensible was 5x5 squats at 85% of the 'supposed to be' 3x5 squats for this session. So 5x5 at 125... no problem. And there wasn't. Which lead to a problem...

I thought I'd do a 1RM(ish) just to feel the weight on my back before going back to 'normal' training next time. So after 5x5 at 125 (that is, after over 4 tonnes of volume) I did a few singles. 150kg... no problem. 160kg... not many problems. 170kg (note the sensible jumps...) no problems... for my hips. Unfortunately on the way back up as it got to the point where I'd need to start grinding, I lost a little tension and started to rotate to the right... tried to bring that back, and lost my balance. I still tried to get it back and save the rep, but I'd been paused halfway back up for too long and I couldn't stop the over-correct. So I dumped the weight on the pins. But because I was trying to be controlled about it, I kept my hands on the bar, and squished my right ring finger a bit. Not badly, nothing broken, but enough to cause a reasonable amount of blood and swelling.

So that was it for the day, no press, no deadlifts. But it's a new squat 1RM, so that's something. And I'm also nicely warmed up for Thursday. That's how I'm thinking about it, at least!

1 comment: