14 May 2013

So... ah... where've I been?

Well, funny you should ask, really, because I've not been anywhere. I have, though, moved house (again... the amount of crap I have is almost literally unbearable. I need to throw more stuff in the bin.) And... well, life has been, in many ways, shit. I mean, really. I thought last year was bad. So updating this... hasn't really been a priority!

I have still been training, though just in the gym, not on the bike. My poor, neglected track bike. I don't even have a racing licence - hopefully I'll be in a position to get one come 1 October. And do a bit of rolling around Brunswick before then (closer than BBN.)

In the gym, I'm up to a 180kg squat and a 210kg deadlift. Squat's paused momentarily due to a niggling knee injury, but that's cleared now so it'll be going up again. Deadlift is just shooting along nicely, and I see no particular reason it should stop any time soon. I won't bother setting targets, just that I'm aiming for 10kg every three weeks or so.

My programming at the moment is a variation on TM - though mostly I'm only getting to the gym twice a week, not three times. Volume Thursday, Intensity Monday. Light day, when I do it, on Saturday. Volume is 5x5 squats @ ~70% 1RM (just below 1RM*0.85*0.85) and 5x5 Deadlift @ ~62% 1RM (just below 1RM*0.8*0.8) though the precise figures vary. Typically you're not 'meant' to do so much deadlift volume, but I find it works for me. I've also started doing Pendlay rows on a 3x5 basis, around 70kg at the moment, and these I do on volume days. Bench and OHP alternate following much the same pattern.

Intensity days are programmed to be 1RM attempt in squats and deads, next week AMRAP (2-5) at previous 1RM, then AMRAP (2-3) at current 1RM, then new 1RM attempt. So, if I just set my 210 1RM, the next week would see me attempt 2-5reps at 200 (and, especially for deads, that would typically be singles, or possibly one or two doubles. Don't bother with sets of 5 anymore except for volume day) before attempting 2-3 the following week at 210. Then we're set for another 1RM attempt at 220! Squats are basically the same, except that the sets are more likely to be 2+ reps, and I've been off recently because of my knee.

So that's about where I am at the moment!

1 comment:

  1. sorry lifes shit !!!!

    as for lifting i always thought we lifted similar weights (squat) however you are prob a 100kg better than me at the moment due to an unfourtunate incident with a leg press machine !!!!

    still back on the bike and back to the gym this week so i am super excited for this years track season

    ReplyDelete