17 November 2011

Road Sprints

I knew this was going to be tough, but it was tougher than that! 20km commute, 3 uphill sprints, 3 downhill sprints. Sounds entirely doable like that, but hills aren't exactly averaged out on my commute in. In fact, 4 of the sprints were done by the time I got to about the 15 minute mark...

So the first one, uphill sprint on ~4% grade. I had slight problems with gear selection, but I still managed to make it a 30-second effort over about 275 metres. I hit just over 35 at about 80RPM and held it there the rest of the way, finishing at about 33km/hr. Strava tells me I hit over 1200W, which I'm certain is accurate. Give or take 40% or so. Not bad for a warmup.


Then 2 minutes later, it was time for the downhill sprint. I started at about 55/102, and finished at about 67/122 over about 250m. Pretty good, though it's still slightly downhill after the run-in - Strava reckons 3%, but again, that's probably accurate within about 40%.

I then had 3 whole minutes before the start of the next uphill sprint, this one 110m up a 6% climb. I started more than halfway up this one, so if I ever do it again I should probably start it earlier. I peaked at 30/74 in just 16 seconds, so half the length of the first one. But having so little rest between, I'm not sure how much longer I could have gone. Certainly I was crawling along at about 5km/hr afterwards!


But just a minute and a half later it was time for sprint number 4, and it showed. I started at 49.7/87 and peaked at 54.3/99 over 200m, Strava power a measly 700W. Time though for a bit of rest, if you can call climbing through Heidelberg rest!  There was no way I was sprinting along Burgundy or Studley, so the next sprint would be along the flat post Ivanhoe descent on Heidelberg Road. Not something one would do in peak hour, but at 14:30, just fine.

I considered doing the full Red Rooster sprint, but piked in the end - not sure if that was a sensible idea, or if I should've kept going up the hill for that bit of extra capacity work. So it was 220m from the boulevard to the end of the bridge, entering at 58 with 0 cadence, losing about 1km/hr before accelerating up to nearly 61km/hr at 110RPM.

I finished with something else I'd never dream of doing in peak hour - a sprint up the Hoddle Street overpass. Accelerated all the way up to 40/99 over the top, before cruising the rest of the way to my destination. Rooted! This is why I'm no good at road racing.

No comments:

Post a Comment