11 November 2011

Queen

I think Freddie Mercury's about right for today's effort! It's been a long time since I've been in the gym, so I wasn't exactly expecting miracles - squat was at just 120kgs, press at 50 and deadlift ended up at 150, after a bit of hemming and hawing.

Squats were tough, especially by the third set - my form felt rather scatty, just trying to remember how to do them! By the third set it was getting impossible to even set my back, and I stopped after just two reps - I could have muscled them up, I reckon, but they would have been ugly and not progressed me anywhere. I'll stay at 120 until I'm confident that I can hold my back all the way through, and then slowly progress back up.

Press at 50 felt good and I had no problems getting all 15 reps, though I notice that now that I've stopped pausing at the bottom, Mark Rippetoe is recommending stopping and whipping the hips instead. Whatever. I'll go with that which feels like it works best!

Deadlift on a 'normal' progression probably would have been 160, and I thought 140 would be a sensible stop for this return - it's been 4 weeks since I deadlifted! Instead I ended up deciding on 150, and made them, though it was really tough and I tried a reverse grip for the last rep. No idea if it helped or not, but I got it up! My back was a bit rounded, hips a bit high on this as well, but that's easier to fix than for the squat. Should be fine by the time I return to the dead in 2 weeks.

No comments:

Post a Comment