12 February 2012

SSS Round 4

For once this is going to be a fairly short post I think. Not too much to say! The day was blustery and southerly, so times were slow - I took up my traditional post at the rear of B-Grade - seriously, I was the slowest of the 'fast' riders, with over a second between me and the next fastest rider. The only point of note about my flying 200 was that I was weirdly aware of the fence - perhaps a bodily cue as the wind was pushing up towards the fence at the point which I jumped? I'm not sure, but I must admit I shied away from it a little.

B-Grade was an aboc affair - Me, Carl, Nic and Dino. I knew it was going to be tough, and probably carried too much of that attitude with me - not that I couldn't win, but that it was going to be difficult to do so, and I raced too conservatively as a result, coupled with wanting to keep out of the wind down the back straight and so not being keen on the break and run idea.

And that's how the first two races went, firstly against Nic and then against Carl. Against Nic, I did it fairly well, kinda similar to my last race against him at Blackburn, jumping behind him and trying to come around. He's quicker now than he was then though, and I finished a bike length or so back. I needed to keep closer on the jump (or, you know, take the initiative!) and then break and run, using the bank for the extra speed.

Carl, again I was too timid, and didn't draw quite far enough forward of him. He gave me a mini-hook coming in to turn one, and rather than continuing up the bank I came straight down, hard on his wheel. I should have taken a break through turn two, but I was too afraid of losing any speed I gained in the wind, and so stayed behind him. I took a bit of a run, but Carl just kicked again and kept me off his hip, and again, I finished... a bit more than a bike length back.

So to Dino, who is that much faster again. I took the advice and played this one much more aggressively from behind, ducking and diving, making him watch me, knowing that he doesn't like that. Coming out of turn 4, I got him looking the wrong way and got the jump on him, diving for the lane and getting it. I knew though that he'd just grab my wheel, and then either break and run or (more likely) just steam past, so I backed off a little through turn 1/2, hoping to kick again in to the back straight. And I kinda did, but I didn't have much in me, and Dino rolled past and took the win by a few lengths. Still, it was a better race.

After Nic had a mechanical in his final race against Carl, I ended up facing him in the 3v4 final, rather than the rematch with Carl I had expected. I drew the lead and just tried to wind the pace up and up, but didn't quite commit enough and again I was looking to react rather than dictating the race and again he jumped past me. This time I had no legs left for a second dig so sat up by turn three.

So goals for this season are not looking too shiny at the minute. But there's one round to go, and 6 weeks or so to prepare - so long as I can get there. I've got an activity scheduled for my course that day, but SSS round 5 is now an afternoon start again, so I just might be able to get there. And hopefully I'll be able to have one last shot at glory... or at least decency!

See, told you it'd be a short post!

No comments:

Post a Comment