17 December 2012

Faulty Programming

So I missed SSS Round 3 on Sunday, which was disappointing. Particularly because the party that my daughter went to ended up going so long I could have dropped her off, gone to race, and then picked her up. Ah well. Plans are already set for the next round, so unless I'm sick or something, I won't miss that!

So off to the gym I went, and learned a lesson about programming. I'm reading PPST (kindle version) and there's a lot to absorb, and the first is - it takes time to recover properly from an intense session, especially where it's not a planned part of a cycle. I went back to my 'normal' 3x5s and it was horrible. I got through 2.4 sets of squats, but my form was awful. After 2 reps of the third set I figured I could just about make it through, but even on the first two sets I couldn't control my body well enough, and I decided that I'd reached the point where continuing would have no positive impact, and even if I'd made all 15 reps, there was no way I'd be progressing anyway.

I got through press with a small deload to 55kgs, but it was a struggle, and by the time I got through a warmup of powercleans where I basically just wrenched the bar on to my shoulders because I had no 'power', I called it a day. To rest, recover (better) and reread through PPST carefully! The main choice is around continuing 'SS"s-tyle programming, or to switch to something like the modified TM that Carl does (or did?) at the Powerhaus. Which would, funnily enough, actually require me to pick up some cycling training. What a thought!

S: 3x5x147.5, 1x2x147.5
P: 3x5x55
PC: 1x4x60

No comments:

Post a Comment