14 October 2011

What band plays the music of one man collapsing?

That was the story of my weights session today - one man collapsing. My theory about bar position seemed to be largely confirmed, but it was hard to test as I didn't get past 3 reps in any set, even after deloading to 120kg for the last set. I had no physical or mental drive to really push the weight; somewhere between lack of sleep and lack of adequate nutrition the drive I'd had on Wednesday was gone.

That specific issue aside, I learned enough to decide to reset my squat on the basis of form - the issue I have with getting the right set in the lower back is too significant to fix at the limit of my ability, and while I'm pretty sure I could keep on lifting heavier even with poor form, eventually I'll injure myself.

Press was okay, though just 2 sets at 55kg; the weight was heavy but manageable, but again, just no drive.

Deadlift I decided to set the bar at 160kg just to see what it felt like. The first attempt I aborted, but the second attempt went up fine, no hitching and it felt smooth. I set up for a third, but just as I started to pull I decided that there was no point in attempting a perfect set of deadlifts given how I was feeling. Interestingly, watching the video, I aborted the first attempt because I swung the weight out quite a way (a good 10-15cm) as I lifted it up. The second, successful, attempt swung out a little, but barely an inch or so.

So an awful session, but still points of useful information came out of it.

No comments:

Post a Comment