07 October 2011

Erm... still Slayer!

Finally I got back in to the gym and did a full workout! Nearly two weeks since I've been in the gym at all, and two and a half since I did a full squat workset. So prudence was the order of the day, as I repeated that workout with the exception of resetting powercleans to 60 kg - a 20% reduction to ensure I get back to a point where I have good form.

Speaking of which, my form was a bit ratty for the squats. I got them all up, but watching the video is a bit wince-inducing. Mind you, doing them in the first place was too, so it's not that surprising. There was one squat in each set that I didn't get correct depth on, so to be picky you could probably call it a miss. More importantly though I was having quite some trouble keeping my back in its appropriate arch, and a good 11 or 12 of the lifts had some amount of rounding, 3 or 4 fairly significantly to the extent that the bar was rolling up to my shoulders. A couple in the first set were largely due to what might be called inattention, as I wasn't quite in the right groove. It's been a while, after all. After that though, it was primarily a matter of muscular fatigue, as my back muscles struggled to keep good tension under the repeated loading.

Bench at 65kgs was fine, which isn't terribly surprising in a way but at the same time, is good. Mind you, my benchpress is in exactly the same spot as it was 2 months ago. Or closer to 9 weeks, actually. That's... kinda disturbing!

Powercleans I was happy with. Only 60kg, it is true, but it gave me the chance to really focus on my form and it felt very smooth. After the first couple of reps I really got in to a great groove, everything felt like it was firing at the right time, and although the weight was noticeable, I could have caught them all on my head without bending my knees if I'd wanted to. Which, erm, I didn't. Odd that.

No comments:

Post a Comment