11 August 2011

David Lee Roth

First weights session at 5 Star Gym in Thomastown today. Not a bad setup, though fairly cramped and nothing like a platform or bumper plates. They've got one power cage though (in addition to any number of machine variants) and noone one else looked even remotely interested in it for the 90 minutes that I was there!

I repeated the program from last Saturday so as to have Carl critique my powerclean form in the powerhaus on Saturday coming, which meant that I was doing presses and deadlifts again.

Squats felt good, much better balance than last Saturday and it felt like my form generally was pretty good. Up to 85kg now, and should be fine going up to 90kg on Saturday. It'll be the first time I've backed up in only two days, so it'll be interesting to see what difference, if any, that makes! Concentrating on refuelling well for now.

The press went up to 45kg and again went up fine, though I feel like I might soon have to slow down to 2.5kg jumps - next week at 50kg should be okay, but I'll keep a close eye on it.

Then it was deadlift time! The deadlift is fun - it's so heavy, so simple in concept yet somewhat complex in execution, and kinda primal. What's not to love? Another 10kg jump up to 100kg for this one, and I made a point of trying to make sure I had good form - flat back and so on. I think I managed, but having an external observer is still useful! They had no chalk, and I took none of my own, which made a noticeable difference. I didn't feel any slipping, but my fingers didn't feel quite as secure as they usually do. Still, the weight came up okay - it was a definite squeeze, but bar speed was fine, no slowing at any point at all. So I'll keep pushing the weight up there until I can't, and see what fails first! Only a couple of weeks now to my first goal - a bodyweight lift!

No comments:

Post a Comment