18 August 2011

Def Leppard

Ooooo, that felt better! Nice to be back under a heavy barbell today. I freely admit that I was a little uncertain about my ability to get through today's sets heading in to the gym - was my weakness last Saturday really just a matter of a lack of focus and energy, or was I fooling myself?

Warming up I did feel a little creaky, as is usually the case, and while my final warmup set at 80kg felt solid, I was still slightly reticent to get back under the bar for my first squat workset at 95kg. I pushed that out though and reminded myself of the main focus for the day - control the weight on the way down, and power back up. And keep a straight back. And balance. And so on.

And in the end, I did do all of those things, and felt much stronger and more comfortable for it. I wasn't exactly throwing the weight up in the air, of course, but I never felt close to not being able to push it back up.

The press went up to 50kg today, and that was a big effort. I think I'll have to go to 2.5kg jumps from here, as though I got all 3 sets up, each rep of every set was very hard!

Then it was deadlift time. Deadlift, I still love you. 110kg today and boy did it feel good! I really need to get some chalk though...

No comments:

Post a Comment