22 August 2011

Mötley Crüe

Bit of a mixed day at the gym! First off, a minor milestone - 100kg squats, two big plates on either side of the bar. Nice! Again I was focussing on slow/controlled on the way down, and powering up - bar speed on the way up probably wasn't much faster than on the way down, but it's a focus thing, really. Almost all of the reps felt quite good, with perhaps one that was a little shallow - about parallel, rather than below. It'll be good to get back in to the powerhaus this weekend to get some expert observation!

Then, craptacular time - bench press. I'd been tossing up whether to try at all, or to go up 2.5kg, or 5kg, or just what to do. In the end, I went up 5kg (because they don't have 1.25kg plates) to 75kg and failed miserably. I didn't even attempt a third set! I defeated myself mentally, it is true, and was worried about attempting the weight without a spotter. But it really feels like I'm not doing them properly - my pecs don't feel engaged at all. Even after failing in both the first and second set, I felt nothing at all in my pecs - just my arms. Surely I can't not be using them at all, but perhaps I'm not using them enough. It's a bizarre feeling, or lack thereof.

Powercleans to finish off with, and overall they felt good at 60kg though my jump was a little lacklustre - probably why I felt that I pulled a little on a few reps.

No comments:

Post a Comment