27 August 2011

Whitesnake!

I'm not entirely sure why Whitesnake! require an exclamation point, it just feels right somehow.

Good solid morning in the gym today - 105kg squats felt good. Again, a couple of minor technical problems on a couple of reps, including losing tension in one side with my left knee sliding forward a little and a loss of balance. Still made the rep though - but by Blind Io, does the weight ever magnify such mistakes! There's no question I'm pushing the weight up, but as I commented at the end, the 15th rep doesn't feel harder than the first - I'm just more fatigued by then. So we'll keep pushing up by 5kgs a session until the bar starts slowing markedly.

Press was up next, and for this I did drop down to a 2.5kg jump. Interestingly at least 10 out of the 15 went up more easily than 50kg the last time - whether it's got more to do with the rest, or the small jump, is hard to determine. Still, it felt good to be able to push them up without as much struggle.

Deadlift time! I still love the deadlift, and even more so today - my first supra-bodyweight set! The warmup at 60kg I was probably rushing a bit - Carl noted that I was jerking the bar up off the floor, rather than squeezing. So at the work weight of 120kg, I added squeezing to my list of back straight, chest forward, big breath! It felt really heavy, and for the first time I could really solidly feel activation absolutely everywhere. No wonder it takes a good while to recover from at higher weights! Bar speed felt good, form was solid, grip was secure and the last rep was as difficult as the first. So you know what? I'm sticking with the 10kg progression for now. I suspect that this might be the last jump before I cut back to 5kg jumps - maybe squeeze one more out after that to 140kg, depending upon how it feels. Or perhaps just change to a hook grip.

We shall see. Track season looms ever closer - just 5 weeks now!

No comments:

Post a Comment