06 January 2012

Jeebus!

It's occurred to me that I've not been on my track bike since this, nearly 4 weeks ago! I think Tuesday mornings are happening, I'd better get down there... especially since the cycling victoria website would have me believe that the Vic Masters are coming up on 4-5 February, not March at all...

Anyway, gym. Metal. 60kg on the press, not quite. I suspect it's psychological, having the two larger plates on either side rather than a bunch of little ones, but perhaps I just need to microload. We'll see. If I miss again, I'll reset, then microload, no drama.

Squat, 112.5kg, back up to bodyweight again, nothing special. I tried using a belt on the last set, and wow did that make it easier. That might be a seriously worthwhile investment...

Deadlift, 162.5kg, 5 reps, felt okay. Video shows that I'm rounding my back, but before the plates leave the ground, it's solid (if a bit round) while the load is on. So should just be a matter of being more careful in the setup. I'm also taking too long between reps I reckon, nearly 30 seconds between 4 and 5, so should tighten that up without compromising getting properly set.

And most importantly - I did a chinup! Started with feet on the floor, not a dead hang, but no jump and chin over the bar. Couldn't do another one, and didn't have time to hang around to try 3 sets of 1, however ridiculous that might have been anyway. But there we go, an achievement for the new year.

Oh, and I remembered that a while ago I guesstimated progress in the gym by the end of the year. Based upon one session a week and 5kg jumps, which held for not very long at all, but interesting nevertheless:

Deadlift: Predicted: 130kg. Actual: 160kg
Squat: 185kg. Actual: 110kg (130kg 3x5RM, 140kg 1RM)
Bench: 120kg. Actual: 75kg.
Power Clean: 105kg. Actual: 80kg.
Press: 90kg. Actual: 57.5kg.


So, goals for 2012 in lifting? Well, according to my spreadsheet the current rate of increase should see me squatting 340kg, pressing 175kg, benching and cleaning just on 200kg, and deadlifting about 275kg. Somehow, call me a pessimist, but I suspect I shan't be seeing those numbers! So what will I be happy with? Hmm. Say dead 250kg, squat 200kg, Bench and clean 150kg, Press 100kg. What's realistic? Especially if I lose more weight, probably more like 200, 170, 110, 80. But we'll see how we go.

Cycling goals? Well, that can wait until I've got some track work to report on...

No comments:

Post a Comment