16 July 2011

Europe in da haus?

Good golly I was creaky to start with today! Felt like I could barely get down to a 1/4 squat for my first warmup set. I took my camera along to video my form in the various exercises, which gave me a bit of feedback on how it looks compared to how it 'feels'.

One thing I've forgotten a bit the last couple of weeks, and which is going to start to get more important, is the hip drive part of the squat. I've been focussing more on getting the start right, and keeping the knees in the right position; particularly important since that's what I've had trouble with from the start and I know what happens when your knee is twisted and trying to drive up - don't want to go there again! My 'feel' of that seems pretty good though, so even though I still need to work on it I'm at least aware of it. Hip drive, on the other hand, I haven't been as aware of which means that I can't feel that as well.

So squats and bench are both feeling heavy, if not quite yet at the point where I can genuinely feel stronger after each gym session. My work sets, if you like, are now at the point that I probably would have been able to do them as a 1RM effort in my first session. Power cleans, on the other hand, I'm still not putting much effort in to, as it were. After 3x4 I'm feeling tired, but I can easily get the weight up without proper form - though obviously that's what I'm focussing on! Mostly today that was okay, if not consistent. Part of the problem, in some ways, is that I don't even really need to jump to get it up to my shoulders - which means that it feels weirdly unnecessary to do so. But very shortly it will be necessary, which is why we start low and steadily progress!

Anyway, numbers:
Squat 3 x 5 x 65kg
Bench 3 x 5 x 60kg
Power Clean 3 x 4 x 45kg
And then a set of 5 jumping chinups for the fun of it.

No comments:

Post a Comment